Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

On How Cool Cynthia Alexander Is

I remembered last 2012 when local music feeds talked of why Cynthia Alexander, one of my favorite homegrown singers/ songwriters, needed to leave the Philippines for the United States. There was a relaxed, farewell show held wherein she performed for the last time in my homeland. I must say that I felt a bit bad that I was not able to go there last year and watch her perform live, which was actually one of my dreams. Imagine sitting on cozy, native room with her performing a few steps away from you, with a percussionist playing bonggos and other indie musicians beside her. Laid back and easy. Online videos of some parts of the show were all that was left for me to see. 

Some issues rose that the music industry back in the Philippines didn't pay more value or attention to great artists like the amazing Cynthia, hence, a feeling of disappointment with a hint of going out may have triggered these musicians to share their music to places and listeners where there's more opportunity and appreciation. Support has been given to artists of a genre that's more acceptable to the Filipino 'masa'. 

So why am I talking about Cynthia right now, when the buzz of her is already a thing of the past? 

That's it. Waves about her aren't made recently, and I truly missed her music. I've listened to her well- crafted songs of tasteful sound and meaningful lyrics since I was young. On my playlist for years are One Hundred Eight Eyes, Comfort In Your Strangeness, Daisy Chain, U & I, Motorbykle, and other songs that would leave one tinkering the heart and mind from those plucked strings. 

Her rendition of the Beatles's Blackbird was amazing by the way.

True enough, the Cynthia Alexander experience is sublime.

Here's another great song from her, Knowing There Is Only Now. 

Mabuhay ka, Miss Cynthia! 






No comments:

Post a Comment